Top 10 Things to do in Algonquin ParkSarah Smith
Algonquin Provincial Park is a popular, large, protected park located in central Ontario (a little less than an hour from Bancroft), and is known for its beautiful forests, lakes, and wildlife. There are many things to do while visiting, but here are 10 things we think are fun activities:
- Hike: Algonquin Park has more than 2,400 kilometers (1,500 miles) of trails, ranging from easy to challenging, offering something for hikers of all skill levels.
- Canoe or kayak: The park has more than 2,000 lakes and streams, making it a great place to go canoeing or kayaking.
- Fish: Algonquin Park is known for its excellent fishing, with a variety of species including lake trout, brook trout, and pike. Don’t forget your fishing license.
- Wildlife viewing: The park is home to a wide variety of wildlife, including moose, beavers, wolves, and birds. Just driving along hwy 60 you’re likely to see something. Personally we’ve encountered moose, deer, fox, beaver, and even a bear!
- Photography: The park’s beautiful scenery and abundant wildlife make it a great place for photography in any season. And again, there are a lot of photographic opportunities simply driving along hwy 60.
- Camping: There are several campgrounds within the park, as well as back-country campsites for those who want a more rustic experience.
- Visit the Visitor Centre: The Visitor Centre is a great place to learn about the park’s history, geology, and wildlife, and has exhibits and interactive displays.
- Take a guided tour: The park offers a range of guided tours, including canoe trips, hikes, and wildlife viewing tours.
- Drive: Drive along scenic Hwy 60 and try to spot some wildlife, take photos, or just enjoy the beauty of the park.
- Winter activities: In the winter, the park is a great place for activities such as cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and ice fishing.
Algonquin Park has something for everyone no matter the season, from outdoor enthusiasts to people who love a beautiful drive, to families looking for a fun and educational outing.