Warm Up with These Delicious Winter Cottage RecipesSarah Smith
Winter is here, and as the temperature drops and the snow builds, there’s nothing quite like a home cooked meal to warm you up after a day outside in the cold. Whether you’re enjoying a cozy night in by the fire or entertaining friends and family at the cottage, these winter recipes are sure to hit the spot!
- Slow cooker beef stew: This classic dish is easy to make and perfect for a cold winter day. Simply toss a few pounds of beef stew meat, some vegetables, and a few seasonings into a slow cooker and let it simmer all day long. Serve it with a side of crusty bread for dipping.
- Spicy black bean soup: This spicy soup is packed with flavor. First sauté some onions, garlic, and spices in a large pot, then add a can of black beans, some diced tomatoes, and a few cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. If you like, garnish with a cilantro and a dollop of sour cream.
- Roasted root vegetables: Roasting vegetables brings out their natural sweetness and is a great way to use up any produce that’s been in the crisper a little too long. Cut up some veggies (such as carrots, parsnips, and sweet potatoes) and toss with olive oil, salt, and your favorite seasonings, then roast in a 400°F (200°C) oven for 20-30 minutes.
- Chicken pot pie: Grandma’s staple. Simply sauté some diced chicken, vegetables, and herbs in a large pot, then stir in some broth and milk. Pour the mixture into a pie dish and top with a pre-made or homemade pie crust. Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Costco also has a yummy version you might want to try, and it’s big so it feeds a lot.
- Chili con carne: This meat and bean stew is a great meal to make in advance and freeze in individual portions. First you’ll want to brown some ground beef in a large pot, then stir in some diced onions, peppers, and spices. Add a can of kidney beans and some diced tomatoes, and let the mixture simmer for at least 30 minutes. Optional: Serve with a side of cornbread or tortilla chips.
- Baked macaroni and cheese: Family favourite alert! This creamy and delicious pasta dish is a hit with kids and adults. Cook some macaroni noodles according to the package instructions, then mix in a sauce made from melted butter, flour, milk, and grated cheese. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and top with more cheese. Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Bonus: Add some crispy bacon bits on top for an extra treat. Or hit up the local grocery store and buy the pre-made kind. 😂