History of L’Amable

THE HISTORY OF L’AMABLE, ONTARIO

Between 1858 and 1872 there was a steady arrival of newcomers to the Bancroft area. For a while, because of the fertile soil and good farming conditions, L’Amable was the largest and busiest district in the community. It had stores, saw mills, a smithy, and a grist mill. 3 miles south of L’Amable was an Irish settlement Umphraville, and East of that was Turriff. (All are present day L’Amable).

L'Amable Train Station at Detlor Road
LAmable-Lake-Historic-Photo
Turriff-Store-L-Amable